Prior to LASIK surgery, my vision wasn’t terrible. My prescription was -1.25 and -1.75. Minor myopia, but enough to earn myself a little “Corrective Lens” mark on the driver’s license. I always wore glasses because I figured out early on that it would simplify my life because I was in class all day and now, at work all day. I tried contacts once, but that didn’t work out. I was left with just two options - keep the glasses or get LASIK. I chose to laser up the eyeballs.

My appointment with Dr. Scott Hyver was made last summer, and the day had finally come. Wavefront custom LASIK - insert dundundun sound from horror movies

Surgery Day:

I was nervous, and waiting around in their office did not help. Finally I was called in to take a bunch of tests, and then to have the surgery. When I first arrived at the office, the waiting room was packed, and there were very few open seats. By the time I was finished, I was the second-to-last person out. They warned me in advance that the entire process would last around 2 hours.

They could tell I was nervous too. The minute I walked into the surgery room, I was handed two beanie babies to hold onto. I guess that is so that you don’t grab onto the doctor and shake him.

Even though they put in numbing drops, my eyes stung as they stretched them out to tape my lashes down. It was a minor discomfort, or perhaps I have a very low threshold for pain. They tell you that you can’t feel the laser, but I did… It’s a strange buzzing sensation against your eye, but it didn’t hurt. It was just a strange feeling. I swear they should have put restraints on my body because when they put that laser against my eye, I felt my body moving back in surprise. It catches you off guard even when they tell you it’s coming.

Also, you can tell when they put the various layers of your eye back on. It might sound strange/gross, but I think that part was pretty nifty. While the waiting and tests took quite some time, the actual LASIK itself is a short procedure. I’d say that I was in there for around 10 to 15 minutes.

Day After Surgery:

I went in again today for a post-op checkup. On the drive there, I noticed that I could read street signs. They were a little hard to focus on, but I could tell what was written. And when they gave me the eye test, I could tell things were better because I could read the lines that were once fuzzy dots on a white background.

The verdict?

20/15 vision - woot! I have to go back in a month to see how things are, so after the Spain trip, I am going back in. In the meantime, I have to get used to seeing my face in the mirror without glasses…

No more hiding behind the frames!